    SubjectRe: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module
    Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Monday 04 January 2010, Bartłomiej Zimoń wrote:
    >> And what do You think about sending extra signals to processes?
    >
    > I don't see a problem with this in principle, although I don't think signals
    > are very suitable for this particular purpose, because you need two-way
    > communication between the power manager and the processes it's going to
    > notify (because it has to wait for the processes to finish their preparations
    > and to tell it that they are ready).

    Again, just to abandon some thoughts... do you really need that "two-way
    communication"? I mean if the kernel delivers that specific signal to
    the process/task_struct [do_signal():handle_signal()] it has to save the
    original execution context that will later on be restored after the
    non-default signal handling function returns. This is our ACK /
    notification for the successful return of the programs "suspend
    handler". The kernel module (if such exists) could be notified about
    that for instance by a simple notifier hook within kernelspace. I mean
    if I see this right, the "two-way" is just for the ACK isn't it?

    Best regards,
    Daniel

      Last update: 2010-01-04 13:49    [W:4.251 / U:0.164 seconds]