    SubjectRe: IO error semantics
    On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:23:57AM -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:
    > For permanent write errors, I would expect any modern drive to do a
    > sector remapping internally. We should never need to track this kind
    > of information for any modern device that I know of (S-ATA, SAS,
    > SSD's and raid arrays should all handle this).

    ... and if the device is run out of all of its blocks in its spare
    blocks pool, it's probably well past the time to replace said disk.

    BTW, I really liked Dave Chinner's summary of the issues involved; I
    ran into Kawai-san last week at, and we discussed pretty
    much the same thing over lunch. (i.e., that it's a hard problem, and
    in some cases we need to retry the writes, such as a transient FC path
    problem --- but some kind of write throttling is critical or we could
    end up choking the VM due to too many pages getting dirtied and no way
    of cleaning them.)

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-01-25 18:51    [W:0.019 / U:53.740 seconds]