    SubjectRe: About ACL for IPC Object
    Thank you all for so many solutions.

    I want to control some IPC object (shm, msg queue, semphore) can be
    accessed by which named user or named group just like file objects ACL

    I studied the solution you all referred, The SELinux is powerful but
    may be somewhat complicated. And I am confused with Christoph
    Hellwig‘s solution using tmpfs.

    2010/1/21 Christoph Hellwig <>:
    > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 07:02:27PM -0800, Casey Schaufler wrote:
    >> zhou peng wrote:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > There are ACL in file system, but why there are no ACL implementation
    >> > in IPC object, eg. shm, message queue, FIFO?
    >> >
    >> Most people haven't noticed that IPC objects are even there, much less
    >> that they have mode bits and not ACLs. Even when we were doing security
    >> evaluations on Unix boxes in the 1990's they were considered insufficiently
    >> interesting to justify the additional work to do ACLs.
    >> If you really want ACLs on IPC objects it would make a dandy little
    >> project for a summer. I would be happy to review patches.

    Thanks. It's interesting to add ACL over IPC objects. I want to have a try.

    > Or use the posix IPC mechanisms.  The Posix shared memory has ACL by
    > using tmpfs as the backing store, and we could add similar support to
    > Posix messages queues as they are also backed by a normal filesystem.

    Christoph Hellwig, This way may be convinent. Could you give some
    detailed message. :)
    I only find /proc/ipc/shm file which contain the info of shm objs,and
    tmpfs on /dev/shm which is empty.

    > Adding this support to the old SYSV IPC mechanisms would be much harder
    > as they do not fit into the file backed model we use everywhere else at
    > all.

    Just like file objects, the mode bits are implment over IPC objects
    without file backed, so I think adding ACL support to IPC objects may
    be somewhat reasonable :)

      Last update: 2010-01-22 10:17    [W:0.022 / U:51.160 seconds]