    SubjectRe: linux-next: add utrace tree
    On 01/21, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > >
    > > ptrace is a nasty, complex part of the kernel which has a long history
    > > of problems, but it's all been pretty quiet in there for the the past few
    > > years.
    >
    > More importantly, we're not ever going to get rid of it.

    Unfortunately, you are right. The current ptrace (as it is visible from
    user-space) should stay forever.

    > Quite frankly, judging my all past history we have ever seen in kernel
    > interfaces, new an non-portable interfaces simply are never used. The
    > whole question whether they are nicer or not is entirely immaterial.

    I have to admit this point looks very reasonable to me. Except, can't
    resist, ptrace itself is hardly portable.

    > I'm personally very dubious that there are any merits to utrace that
    > outweigh the very clear disadvantages: just another layer that adds a new
    > level of abstraction to the only interface that people actually _use_,
    > namely ptrace.

    Of course they can't use other interfaces, we don't have them. And
    without the new abstraction layer we will never have, I think.

    Oleg.

      Last update: 2010-01-22 19:33    [W:0.030 / U:30.244 seconds]