    SubjectRe: linux-next: add utrace tree

    On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > ptrace is a nasty, complex part of the kernel which has a long history
    > of problems, but it's all been pretty quiet in there for the the past few
    > years.

    More importantly, we're not ever going to get rid of it.

    Quite frankly, judging my all past history we have ever seen in kernel
    interfaces, new an non-portable interfaces simply are never used. The
    whole question whether they are nicer or not is entirely immaterial.

    I'm personally very dubious that there are any merits to utrace that
    outweigh the very clear disadvantages: just another layer that adds a new
    level of abstraction to the only interface that people actually _use_,
    namely ptrace.

    But I haven't followed utrace. I doubt _anybody_ has, except for the
    utrace people themselves.

    Linus

      Last update: 2010-01-22 02:33    [W:3.505 / U:0.036 seconds]