SubjectRe: fio mmap randread 64k more than 40% regression with 2.6.33-rc1
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:58:26PM +0100, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:10:33PM +0100, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:

> >> Jeff, do you have an idea why in arm_slice_timer, checking
> >> rq_in_driver instead of cfqq->dispatched gives so much improvement in
> >> presence of queue merging, while it doesn't have noticeable effect
> >> when there are no merges?
> >
> > Performance improvement because of replacing cfqq->dispatched with
> > rq_in_driver() is really strange. This will mean we will do even lesser
> > idling on the cfqq. That means faster cfqq switching and that should mean more
> > seeks (for this test case) and reduce throughput. This is just opposite to your approach of treating a random read mmap queue as sync where we will idle on
> > the queue.
> The tests (previous mails in this thread) show that, if no queue
> merging is happening, handling the queue as sync_idle, and setting
> low_latency = 0 to have bigger slices completely recovers the
> regression.
> If, though, we have queue merges, current arm_slice_timer shows
> regression w.r.t. the rq_in_driver version (2.6.32).
> I think a possible explanation is that we are idling instead of
> switching to an other queue that would be merged with this one. In
> fact, my half-backed try to have the rq_in_driver check conditional on
> queue merging fixed part of the regression (not all, because queue
> merges are not symmetrical, and I could be seeing the queue that is
> 'new_cfqq' for an other).

Just a data point. I ran 8 fio mmap jobs, bs=64K, direct=1, size=2G
runtime=30 with vanilla kernel (2.6.33-rc4) and with modified kernel which
replaced cfqq->dispatched with rq_in_driver(cfqd).

I did not see any significant throughput improvement but I did see max_clat
halfed in modified kernel.

Vanilla kernel
==============
read bw: 3701KB/s
max clat: 401050 us
Number of times idle timer was armed: 20980
Number of cfqq expired/switched: 6377
cfqq merge operations: 0

Modified kernel (rq_in_driver(cfqd))
===================================
read bw: 3645KB/s
max clat: 800515 us
Number of times idle timer was armed: 2875
Number of cfqq expired/switched: 17750
cfqq merge operations: 0

This kind of confirms that rq_in_driver(cfqd) will reduce the number of
times we idle on queues and will make queue switching faster. That also
explains the reduce max clat.

If that's the case, then it should also have increased the number of seeks
(at least on yanmin's setup of JBOD), and reduce throughput. But instead
reverse seems to be happening in his setup.

Yanmin, as Jeff mentioned, if you can capture the blktrace of vanilla and
modified kernel and upload somewhere to look at, it might help.

Thanks
Vivek