    SubjectRe: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module
    On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 02:07:39PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > AFAICT following message would be nice.
    >
    > 1) battery is critical, userspace please do something
    >
    > On zaurus and similar, you could add
    >
    > 2) oh and btw we had power failure so we suspended (or maybe -- so
    > hardware suspended itself -- rmk's examples and old apm systems); we
    > are now back and running
    >
    > notification... but... ideally those power failures should never
    > happen anyway, so... having this notification is in no way neccessary.

    There's another consideration here: the more complex the emergency
    procedure, the higher the chance of _something_ causing it to fail,
    and if it does fail, the result is data loss.

    In a properly running system, this isn't something that's going to
    get a lot of testing, so there's a higher chance that there will be
    bugs, so the simpler the solution, the better.

    It's a bit like the kernel shutdown paths - because they don't get a
    lot of use, they don't get tested enough, and having discussed it with
    Arjan van de Ven, it's a known weakness. So we know that they're not
    that well tested - and the result is eg, 33-rc3 on shutdown results
    in an oops for me on x86.

    You really don't want to oops or deadlock on "battery critically low".

      Last update: 2010-01-17 14:29    [W:0.021 / U:0.376 seconds]