SubjectRe: /dev/mem implementation
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:47:10 +0200
Felix Rubinstein <felixru@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see the motivation to limit the access to DRAM from root account
> CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM by mmap'ing /dev/[k]mem but it's easily overruled
> by simple char driver and implementing mmap of it's own totally
> bypassing all limitations.
>
> What do you think about it guy?
> Appreciate it.

the reason PAT bans parts of /dev/mem is simple: it is illegal to have
mapping aliases (different cachability) for the same physical page.
Normal kernel APIs take care of this for the normal case, but /dev/mem
would be a back door into that.
This is a hardware imposed requirement, and violating the rule can have
really nasty consequences... hence the PAT code just not allowing it.

If you feel that you have a valid use case where you really want do
muck with such memory, it might be a good idea to explain that
usecase....

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2010-01-17 18:43    [W:0.142 / U:0.212 seconds]