    SubjectRe: HW breakpoints perf_events request
    From
    Hi,

    On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
    > Joshua Pincus <joshua.pincus@gmail.com> writes:
    >
    >> I have a request for an additional feature to be included
    >> in the recent hardware breakpoints work soon to be delivered
    >> in kernel 2.6.33.
    >
    > Sounds to me like the existing ptrace based interface
    > can practically all you want
    >
    > (except that the "parent signal" would be wait and for
    > fork/exec you have to explicitely attach)

    We would like to avoid using ptrace at all costs.
    It requires us to have a parent thread running
    which monitors all the others. It's not clear that
    the wait() call by the parent doesn't mask a barrage
    of signals from various threads and the performance
    penalty is huge in multi-threaded apps.

    If we could get this functionality working w/o ptrace,
    we'd be very, very happy and grateful.

    > -Andi

    Thanks,
    JP
    --
    On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
    > Joshua Pincus <joshua.pincus@gmail.com> writes:
    >
    >> I have a request for an additional feature to be included
    >> in the recent hardware breakpoints work soon to be delivered
    >> in kernel 2.6.33.
    >
    > Sounds to me like the existing ptrace based interface
    > can practically all you want
    >
    > (except that the "parent signal" would be wait and for
    > fork/exec you have to explicitely attach)
    >
    > -Andi
    >
    > --
    > ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.

      Last update: 2010-01-14 03:29    [W:0.021 / U:0.792 seconds]