SubjectRe: Can we remove pci_find_device() yet?
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:46:50PM +0100, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 08.01.2010 05:46 schrieb Greg KH:
> > On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:22:36AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >>
> >> This interface has been deprecated since November 2006, so can something
> >> be done about the last users (I think only some ISDN drivers)?
>
> That would be the HiSax I4L drivers.
>
> > Ick, the "new" isdn drivers are still not merged that replace those
> > older ones? I thought that happened a while ago.
>
> mISDN, which is the designated successor to HiSax, has indeed been
> merged in 2008.
>
> Trouble is, mISDN's userspace interface is completely different from I4L.
> Removing HiSax would therefore break userspace compatibility for current
> users of HiSax supported devices. In order to switch to mISDN they'll
> have to replace all of their ISDN4Linux applications with equivalent
> mISDN ones, and I'm not even sure there is a replacement for everything.
>
> Just an idea - as a stopgap measure, couldn't pci_find_device() be made
> a private function of the HiSax drivers? That way, the remainder of the
> kernel won't be polluted by it anymore, and the PCI_LEGACY config option
> can be dropped. Something like this quick and dirty hack:

Close, but if you do this, please name the function
hisax_find_pci_device() or something, and change the drivers to use it
instead. Also put a big fat warning in the function that calling this
is unsafe for any PCI hotplug type machine.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2010-01-11 21:09    [W:0.104 / U:2.516 seconds]