    SubjectRe: MD/RAID time out writing superblock
    Date
    On Mon September 7 2009, Allan Wind wrote:
    > On 2009-09-07T12:44:42, Chris Webb wrote:
    > > Sorry for the late follow up to this thread, but I'm also seeing symptoms
    > > that look identical to these and would be grateful for any advice. I
    > > think I can reasonably rule out a single faulty drive, controller or
    > > cabling set as I'm seeing it across a cluster of Supermicro machines with
    > > six Seagate ST3750523AS SATA drives in each and the drive that times out
    > > is apparently randomly distributed across the cluster. (Of course, since
    > > the hardware is identical, it could still be a hardware design or
    > > firmware problem.)
    >
    > Seeing the same thing with a Supermicro motherboard and a pair WDC 2 TB
    > drives. Disabling NCQ does not resolve the issue, nor increasing
    > the safe_mode_delay. This is with 2.6.30.4. This machine is
    > sitting on its hand (i.e. no significant load).

    I have the same issue with a single WD 2TB Green drive. Technically two, but
    it always only gets errors from the same drive, so I was assuming it was the
    drive. I only have to setup the raid0 array, and put some light load on it for
    the kernel to start complaining, and eventually it just kicks the drive
    completely with the following messages:

    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
    end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 202026972

    The drive does work fine prior to the frozen timeout errors. And I was using
    it in windows (same raid0 config) just fine with no errors what so ever.

    --
    Thomas Fjellstrom
    tfjellstrom@shaw.ca

      Last update: 2009-09-08 01:29    [W:4.486 / U:0.224 seconds]