SubjectRe: system gets stuck in a lock during boot
From
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Justin P.
Mattock<justinmattock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>
>> * Justin P. Mattock<justinmattock@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> shoot, I did not see your post here. when looking at my bisect
>>> log, I guess after a git bisect reset it clears?
>>>
>>> Anyways after git bisect had finished I looked manually at the
>>> commits that it had generated the one which I had sent in a post
>>> previously, and this one:
>>>
>>>  9424edc2da097c8589fcc24a72552d33e54be161
>>>

>> (this commit has no effect on your kernel image, at all.)
>>

> yep. but it was worth a try.
>>>
>>> at the time looking at the commit, I see this to be more of the
>>> cause because of it being related to elf as so forth, but as soon
>>> as I reverted this on rc6 made no difference.(the previous commit
>>> fixes this for me, on a regular tar.ball as well as in git.
>>>
>>> I think at this point since this system is a fresh from scratch
>>> build, I think something might be wrong that I'm doing (all the
>>> CFLAGS, and such are in a previous post).
>>>
>>> At the moment I don't have a problem applying a patch to the
>>> kernel for this. especially since I'm the only one that seems to
>>> be hitting this, then if more and more reports of this happen then
>>> we can go from there.
>>>

>> What would be nice is to verify your bisection end result, i.e. do
>> what i suggested:
>>

> yeah I've done this on both kernels three to be exact, and all boot after
> reverting
> Fix perf-tracepoint OOPS.
>
> As for my system, I'm still convinced that I might be doing something wrong
> over here.

>> if this doesnt fix it on latest -git then this commit is not the
>> cause of the lockup.
>>
>>        Ingo
>>

> This commit(Fix perf-tracepoint OOPS.)does fix my stuckage, but I'm left, as
> well as others asking
> the question of why.
> In any case I still think I'm setting something wrong with either gcc, or
> something
> that might be causing this from userland.
>
> Justin P. Mattock

O.k. here something awkward about this issue I was
experiencing. at the moment I have two imac's
here the descriptions:

imac A) the one with the problem

OS: built from the clfs book
x86_64 multilib with only lib64

built everything with these flags:
CFLAGS="-m64 -mtune=core2 -march=core2
-mfpmath=both -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
-fstack-protection"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" MAKEOPTS="{-j3}"
while compiling everything with
gcc version: 4.5.0 20090730

imac B) the one that works

OS: clfs(just built a few days ago)
x86_64 pure64 bit build
(lib with a symlink to lib64)
CFLAGS="-m64 -mtune=core2 -march=core2
-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" MAKEOPTS="{-j3}"
gcc version: 4.4.1 (GCC for Cross-LFS 4.4.1.20090722)

The only things I can think of is either I hit something
because of gcc, something goes wrong with the libraries,
or there something happening with either the option
of mfpmath=both or stackprotection.

At this point since the kernel seems to be running fine,
is to just trash the system that has this issue and just leave
it at, I was hitting some weird anomaly.

--
Justin P. Mattock