SubjectRe: [quad core results] BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements
Date
On Monday 07 September 2009, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> 4 cores, 8 threads. Which is basically the standard desktop cpu going
> forward... (4 cores already is today, 8 threads is that any day now)

Despite that I'm personally more interested in what I have available here
*now*. And that's various UP Pentium systems, one dual core Pentium D and
Core Duo.

I've been running BFS on my laptop today while doing CPU intensive jobs
(not disk intensive), and I must say that BFS does seem very responsive.
OTOH, I've also noticed some surprising things, such as processors staying
on lower frequencies while doing CPU-intensive work.

I feels like I have less of the mouse cursor and typing freezes I'm used
to with CFS, even when I'm *not* doing anything special. I've been
blaming those on still running with ordered mode ext3, but now I'm
starting to wonder.

I'll try to do more structured testing, comparisons and measurements
later. At the very least it's nice to have something to compare _with_.

Cheers,
FJP

  Last update: 2009-09-07 17:23    [W:0.517 / U:0.948 seconds]