SubjectRe: [tip:x86/cpu] x86, msr: change msr-reg.o to obj-y, and export its symbols
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 05:06:47PM +0000, tip-bot for H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> x86, msr: change msr-reg.o to obj-y, and export its symbols
>
> Change msr-reg.o to obj-y (it will be included in virtually every
> kernel since it is used by the initialization code for AMD processors)

Yeah, about that, I'm wondering whether a more fine grained
Kconfig suboptions would be appropriate here. Currently,
<arch/x86/kernel/cpu/{intel,amd}.c> are sprinkled with the

if (c->x86 == XX) { apply quirks }

thingies and we could put those into their own files which are
built/linked only when enabled. Before that, you would have chosen
the CPU vendor and the CPU family thus pulling only the related
quirks/fixes. Distros will of course need to enable all of them. Then,
all those different families quirks should be iterated over in a manner
similar to the initcall mechanism.

Anyways, just an idea - it could be dumb overengineering but on a
first glance it will organize/simplify the quirks code, reduce kernel
image proper, get rid of Kconfig options like CONFIG_X86_F00F_BUG,
vendor-specific cpuinfo_x86 members like fdiv_bug, f00f_bug, coma_bug,
and [add another good reason here :)].

Comments?

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

  Last update: 2009-09-05 12:01    [W:0.117 / U:0.336 seconds]