SubjectRCU Kconfig help text
init/Kconfig says:

"choice
prompt "RCU Implementation"
default TREE_RCU

config TREE_RCU
bool "Tree-based hierarchical RCU"
help
This option selects the RCU implementation that is
designed for very large SMP system with hundreds or
thousands of CPUs. It also scales down nicely to
smaller systems.

config TREE_PREEMPT_RCU
bool "Preemptable tree-based hierarchical RCU"
depends on PREEMPT
help
This option selects the RCU implementation that is
designed for very large SMP systems with hundreds or
thousands of CPUs, but for which real-time response
is also required.

endchoice"

This leaves somebody who has a laptop wondering which choice is best for
a system with only one or two cores that has CONFIG_PREEMPT defined. One
choice says it scales down nicely, the other explicitly has a 'depends on
PREEMPT' attached to it...

(Yes, I realize in practice, the RCU sections on a laptop are probably usually
so short they don't matter in practice. I finally concluded TREE_PREEMPT was
apparently a rename of CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU and went with that since that was
working for me before...)

  Last update: 2009-09-05 19:09    [W:0.067 / U:0.068 seconds]