SubjectRe: suspend vs usb and PS/2 ports
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 September 2009, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I've several PCs here which are able to wakeup -
>> among others - from PS/2 and/or USB keyboard.
>> Here for testing I'm using PS/2 keyboard and
>> Asus M3A78-EM motherboard.
>>
>> When I do poweroff from linux, the keyboard
>> stays powered up as it should (according to
>> the BIOS settings). But when I do suspend,
>> keyboard is NOT powered anymore, and hence
>> the system can't be woken up from it but only
>> by using the power button.
>>
>> This happens consistently for many kernel
>> versions. To be fair, I don't even know if
>> there was any kernel which does not show this
>> behaviour: old versions was unable to do
>> suspend/resume cycle on this platform at all.
>>
>> Any hints for this please?
>
> With USB, I think keyboard wake-up is off by default as it causes some
> systems to wake up immediately after suspending. Alan and Oliver can provide
> more info about that.

Actually I wasn't able to get any machine to resume based on
USB devices - notable keyboard, be it sleep/power button (on
the keyboards that have it) or any other combination of keys
configured in the BIOS. Most motherboards I tried are from
Asus, one or two from Gigabyte and one more from Biostar.

That's why I use PS/2=>USB adaptor, to connect an USB keyboard
to a PS/2 port - this one works just fine, with all the mobos
I tried (provided the appropriate BIOS settings are turned on
and ever exists, to start with).

> I don't know about PS/2.
>
> Can you post the contents of /proc/acpi/wakeup from one of these systems,
> please?

Hm. That's.. curious. Here we go, my home machine whihc I turn
on every day from a PS/2-connected keyboard:

Device S-state Status Sysfs node
PCE2 S4 disabled
PCE3 S4 disabled
PCE4 S4 disabled
PCE5 S4 disabled
PCE6 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:06.0
RLAN S4 disabled pci:0000:02:00.0
PCE7 S4 disabled
PCE9 S4 disabled
PCEA S4 disabled
PCEB S4 disabled
PCEC S4 disabled
SBAZ S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.2
PS2K S4 disabled pnp:00:09
UAR1 S4 disabled pnp:00:0a
P0PC S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.4
UHC1 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:12.0
UHC2 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:12.1
UHC3 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:12.2
USB4 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:13.0
UHC5 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:13.1
UHC6 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:13.2
UHC7 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.5

It's all disabled! But I *know* it wakes up
from network and from ps/2 keyboard at least!
In the corresponding BIOS menu almost everything
is enabled (excluding RTC alarm, but including
USB events). This is an Asus motherboard, M3A-78EM,
with latest BIOS.

Here's another one, Gigabyte's GA-MA74GM-S2H,
which definitely wakes on network:

Device S-state Status Sysfs node
PCI0 S5 disabled no-bus:pci0000:00
USB0 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:12.0
USB1 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:12.1
USB2 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:12.2
USB3 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:13.0
USB4 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:13.1
USB5 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:13.2
USB6 S3 disabled pci:0000:00:14.5
SBAZ S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.2
P2P S5 disabled pci:0000:00:14.4
PCE2 S4 disabled
PCE3 S4 disabled
PCE4 S4 disabled
PCE5 S4 disabled
PCE6 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:06.0
PCE7 S4 disabled
PCE8 S4 disabled

hmm. Blaming BIOS, as usual? :)

But even if that's the case, why there's a difference
between "just" power-off and power-off when suspending?

The kernel is 2.6.31 vanilla.

Thanks!

/mjt

  Last update: 2009-10-01 00:05    [W:0.058 / U:0.236 seconds]