    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc1

    On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Eric Dumazet wrote:
    > Checking this commit, I believe problem comes from cmpxchg(), which doesnt
    > handle 64 bit on X86_32 (no compilation error, and null operation :( )

    Wow. That's broken. Very nasty silent failure.

    > 1) Use cmpxchg64()

    Clearly better than what we have now, although cmpxchg64 does result is
    some really disgusting code. We will use a bare CMPXCHG64 only if you
    compile for PAE right now - so even if you tell Kconfig that you want to
    compile for a modern CPU, we won't be doing that whole cmpxchg64b thing
    directly, we'll inline some really disgusting code.

    So we really need to fix that up before it would be acceptable to use

    And regardless, we should fix the silent cmpxchg failure, even if it's
    just a link-time failure or something. 64-bit things in the kernel used to
    be rare and special, but they aren't any more.

    Ingo, Peter, comments?

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.020 / U:13.008 seconds]