SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc1

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Linus Torvalds a écrit :
> >
> > Go wild, test it out, and let us know about any regressions you find,
>
> Something seems wrong with process time accounting.
>
> Following program should consume 10*8 seconds of cpu on a 8 cpu machine, but
> with 2.6.32-rc1 numbers are crazy.

Ok, so the top-level process time looks sane _while_ the thing is running
(sum of all threads), but the per-thread times look broken (as if they had
randomly had the times of the other threads added into them - looks to me
like they on average had half the other threads' time accounted into
them).

And then at the end, it looks like the time of the threads (which was
over-accounted) get re-accounted back into the main process, so the final
time is indeed wildly inflated.

IOW, looks like we're adding thread times multiple times to other threads
(and then finally to the parent).

I'm adding the usual suspects to the cc, and leaving your results and
test-program quoted here for them.. Thomas, Martin, John - if you're not
the people I should blame for this, let me know.

Linus

---