    SubjectRe: massive_intr on CFS, BFS, and EDF
    On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 15:31 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
    > Do you allow oversubscription with EDF? It would seem so based on these
    > results. Would it maybe make sense to disallow oversubscription, or
    > make it an option?

    What I want is the user to be able to achieve whatever result he likes.

    Thus, with EDF_GROUP_SCHED enabled, you first have to assign a bandwidth
    value, at least to the root group. If 100% (e.g., on UP) is used as such
    value, oversubscription will never happen.

    If EDF_GROUP_SCHED is off, nothing is in place right now, but I already
    planned to add it, and I'm just introducing something like
    sysctl_sched_rt_runtime, sysctl_sched_rt_period, in the new version I'm
    working on right now.

    > If you have massive oversubscription with EDF, what is the design
    > intent? Do you try to meet the goals on as many tasks as possible,
    > while the oversubscribed tasks get nothing?

    No, nothing like that... So using this scheduler without avoiding system
    overload will be nonsene, unless some kind of logic (as you was
    describing) is not implemented in userspace, and that's why I think
    oversubscription avoidance should be an available, but also,
    configurrable feature... Comments on that?

    Regards,
    Dario

    Dario Faggioli, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)

    http://blog.linux.it/raistlin / raistlin@ekiga.net /
    dario.faggioli@jabber.org

      Last update: 2009-09-26 08:53    [W:0.021 / U:30.876 seconds]