SubjectRe: Microblaze noMMU break - mm/nommu.h
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Michal Simek wrote:
> 2009/9/23 Hugh Dickins <hugh.dickins@tiscali.co.uk>
> >
> > Thank you for testing linux-next, but these kind of inadvertent
> > breaks to CONFIG_NOMMU are probably most often caused by changes
> > coming in via Andrew's mmotm - where most (liable to break nomm)
> > mm development occurs.
> >

> you are welcome.
>

> > linux-next was started really as a service to make Andrew's life
> > with mmotm slightly easier, but now, yes, he would like to move
> > over to getting his mm series into linux-next... but it's not a
> > trivial task to turn that around.
> >
> > If it's possible for you to test mmotms, your input on breakages
> > would be much appreciated; but I can quite understand that linux-next
> > is enough work for you, and that I appear to be bleating at you to
> > do something different, when it's me who needs to learn to be more
> > careful and build more configs.
> >

> I can easily test any git tree - just give me link. + info how is this tree
> maintained
> will be helpful too. (If is used rebase, if yes - on which tree, etc)

Thank you.

git://git.zen-sources.org/zen/mmotm.git

At first I was going to say that mmotm is maintained as a quilt tree,
a tarfile of patches against the last -rcN (including one origin.patch
of the changes in Linus's tree, and the linux-next.patch from that),
which you would apply using quilt.

But you're git-oriented, so wouldn't be wanting to spend time on that:
it is also made available nowadays as a git tree, which should suit you
much better - but that is constructed from the original quilt patches,
and I don't actually use it myself, so can't guarantee how well it works.

Here's what Andrew says in one of his mm-commits and lkml announcements
(they're irregular, depending on many factors, principally Andrew's
load: roughly one or perhaps two per week). Sometimes an mmotm comes
out just after Linus releases a new -rcN, but the mmotm would then
be based on the previous -rcN - since it needs to include the prior
linux-next, and be tested to some extent.

Quote:

The mm-of-the-moment snapshot 2009-09-17-18-00 has been uploaded to

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/

and will soon be available at

git://git.zen-sources.org/zen/mmotm.git

It contains the following patches against 2.6.31:

origin.patch # recent diff from -rcN to Linus -git
[urgent fix patches]
linux-next.patch
linux-next-git-rejects.patch
next-remove-localversion.patch
[misc patches akpm is holding]
mm.patch # which appends -mm1 to the -rcN
[mm and other patches ]

(when I write of an -rcN, well, at present it's just 2.6.31 itself,
no "-rcN" at all.)

> I tested it and works.

Thanks for reporting back: Linus was paying attention to the thread,
and put the fix in directly without any more prompting.

> There is one new issue about pagewalk in different patch. :-(

Our sympathies.

Hugh

  Last update: 2009-09-24 12:57    [W:0.037 / U:0.464 seconds]