SubjectRe: Current git: no keyboard when booting in verbose mode

[ adding some CCs ]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:

> I'm having issues with the current kernel in git, and wondering if this
> will ring a bell for anyone. The main symptom is that on most boots the
> keyboard is not detected - the system gets to the console login prompt
> but input is not recognized. Sometimes (rarely) the keyboard will be ok
> at the console, but the keyboard and mouse are non functional once in X.

Are both keyboard and mouse in question PS/2?

> Other times the system will hang before getting to the console login
> prompt.
>
> I made a few attempts to bisect this but with no success - I assume
> that I'm led astray at some point by a bad kernel that happens to boot
> normally a few times.
>
> Things to note:
> - The problem only occurs in verbose mode - if I boot with "quiet"
> everything is fine
> - 2.6.31 has no issues on the same machine
> - On a failed boot with no keyboard, this line is missing from dmesg:
> AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2

Could you please provide output from kernel booted with 'i8042.debug' from
the failing case?

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

  Last update: 2009-09-23 11:13    [W:0.047 / U:0.048 seconds]