    SubjectRe: mailing list for trace users

    * David Miller <> wrote:

    > From: Ingo Molnar <>
    > Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:47:25 +0200
    > > Could you please also create the linux-perf-users list, for perf
    > > events and the perf tool related user questions? (We have asked for
    > > this before but must have gotten lost somewhere)
    > I think your communities are similar enough and small enough that you
    > could share this list.

    It's two separate subsystems. There's a lot of non-tracing aspects of
    performance events: it does profiling, counting, latency analysis, etc.
    The tool is named 'perf', the subsystem is named 'performance events',
    and the most typical workflows dont do any tracing.

    And i beg to differ about the size of the communities. It's just been
    added upstream...

    Also, what is the policy for adding new lists to If a
    subsystem maintainer asks for a list named after a core kernel
    subsystem, how frequently is it rejected, and on what basis?

    I find it sad that such an arbitrary looking negative decision from you
    forces a user list away from vger. I wouldnt mind it to be closed if it
    has no significant traffic after a year or lifetime or so - many vger
    lists have almost no traffic to begin with.

    Also, i cannot help but to observe the fact that you've fought the
    original perfcounters project in a very ugly and public way less than a
    year ago. Dont you think that you 'deciding' this matter in such a
    negative fashion is a conflict of interest?

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-09-23 21:33    [W:0.021 / U:101.760 seconds]