SubjectRe: [patch] Re: [perf] Finding uninstalled modules Was Re: mailing list for trace users
On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 18:09 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 09/23/2009 06:05 PM, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> >> Well, you don't need to do anything to open a file from cwd: that's the
> >> default. You need to actively prepend /lib/modules/blah to get it to
> >> load from the correct location. What I don't understand is why it is
> >> only hitting me (esp. as it used to work).
> >>
> > If your modules.dep, always was missing the /lib/modules/blah bit, it
> > never worked for you. I wrote the thing with the rash assumption that
> > it always contained full path like mine does :)
> >

> Ah, changed there, I missed that part earlier, sorry. So it's probably
> a change in modules.dep generation instead of tools/perf.
>
> > So, I just need to check whether it's full path or not, prepend or take
> > the path as is, and hope there aren't several other ways to get screwed
> > up by modules.dep content.
> >

> Maybe we should fix that then (though I prefer relative paths myself).

I'll do the check for relative vs full thing, and a bail noisily if it
finds something else. (later i guess, wife is giving me the evil eye;)

> > Too bad the kernel doesn't store the path in /sys/modules/bla/path.
> > That would be nicer than rummaging around in a mutable file.
> >

> But then you rely on a running kernel. Be nice to be able to ship
> perf.data.

Long term, all pertinent data should go into a shippable perf.data.

-Mike

  Last update: 2009-09-23 17:29    [W:0.096 / U:0.256 seconds]