    SubjectRe: Crash on reading the whole PCI config of PIIX4 SMBus
    On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:59:08 +0200, Henrik Kretzschmar wrote:
    > Wolfram Sang schrieb:
    > > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:46:10PM +0200, Henrik Kretzschmar wrote:
    > >

    > >> at boot time my system (Wincor/Nixdorf Beetle D1) sometimes crashs while loading the i2c-piix4 driver.
    > >>

    > > Have you checked if you have the latest BIOS for this machine? Sometimes
    > > PCI-problems got fixed there...
    > >

    > Thanks for you fast replies,
    >
    > the latest BIOS (05/08) is already installed, so no fixing can be expected that way
    >

    > I tested my killer-commands at the other box @home with no crashes.
    >
    > The commands _work_ with a coldstarted Linux and i2c-piix not loaded,
    > so the only thing I can do is blacklisting it and renounce sensors support,
    > having a good a argument for a new hardware aquisition. :)

    That's really odd, considering that the i2c-piix4 driver doesn't change
    the PCI device configuration, it only reads from it.

    If you trigger some transactions (for example by running "sensors -s"
    at boot time?) then you also write to the I/O ports. But this hardly
    explains how subsequently reading the PCI config space would crash.

    You might still want to check if maybe ACPI is interfering with the
    i2c-piix4 driver. This isn't the kind of result I'd expect, but who
    knows.

    > For completness the message with the SMBus revision, which is not the pci-revision, is:
    >
    > SMBus Host Controller at 0x1040, revision 0

    Revision 0 here as well, I suspect there never was any other revision
    of this chip.

    > The "?" at the interrupt line of lspci is a little strange:
    >
    > >> Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 9
    >
    > looking at lspci -x -s 7.3 I can see that PCI_INTERRUPT_PIN == 0
    >
    > I cant see that i2p-piix does any interrupts, refering /proc/irq/9/spurious
    >
    > The driver says:
    >
    > Using Interrupt SMI# for SMBus

    This is only a debug message, saying how the interrupt line is
    configured, but you are right that the driver doesn't use interrupts
    (much to our shame.)

    --
    Jean Delvare
    http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html

      Last update: 2009-09-23 15:37    [W:0.021 / U:126.084 seconds]