SubjectRe: regression in page writeback
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:36:22AM +0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:26:22 +0800 Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@intel.com> wrote:

> > > That's unquantified handwaving. One CPU can do a *lot* of IO.
> >
> > Yes.. I had the impression that the writeback submission can be pretty slow.
> > It should be because of the congestion_wait. Now that it is removed,
> > things are going faster when queue is not full.
>
> What? The wait is short. The design intent there is that we repoll
> all previously-congested queues well before they start to run empty.

When queue is not congested (in which case congestion_wait is not
necessary), the congestion_wait() degrades io submission speed to near
io completion speed.

> > > It was wrong. See the other email.
> >
> > No your first insight is correct. Because the (unnecessary) teeny
> > sleeps is independent of the A=>B=>C traversing order. Only queue
> > congestion could help skip A.
>
> The sleeps are completely necessary! Otherwise we end up busywaiting.
>
> After the sleep we repoll all queues.

I mean, it is not always necessary. Only when _all_ superblocks cannot
writeback their inodes (eg. all in congestion), we should wait.

Just before Jens' work, I had patch to convert

- if (wbc.encountered_congestion || wbc.more_io)
- congestion_wait(WRITE, HZ/10);
- else
- break;

+ if (wbc->encountered_congestion && wbc->nr_to_write == MAX_WRITEBACK_PAGES)
+ congestion_wait(WRITE, HZ/10);

Note that wbc->encountered_congestion only means "at least one bdi
encountered congestion". We may still make progress in other bdis
hence should not sleep.

Thanks,
Fengguang

  Last update: 2009-09-23 04:53    [W:0.138 / U:0.312 seconds]