SubjectRe: aim7 scalability issue on 4 socket machine
On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 07:53:58AM +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > > I tested Lee's patch and it does fix the issue.
>
> Thanks for checking and reporting back, Yanmin.
>

> > Do we think we should cook up something for -stable?
>
> Gosh, I laughed at Lee (sorry!) for suggesting it for -stable:
> is stable really for getting a better number out of a benchmark?

When your system is large enough scalability problems (e.g.
lock contention) can be a serious bug. i.e. when your workload
is 150% slower than expected that can well be a show stopper.

Admittedly the workload in this case was a benchmark, but it's
not that far fetched to expect the same problem in a real application.

We had a similar problem with the accounting lock some time
ago, I think that patch also went in.

So yes I think simple non intrusive fixes for serious scalability
problems should be stable candidates.

> > Either this is a regression or the workload is particularly obscure.
>
> I've not cross-checked descriptions, but assume Lee was actually
> testing on exactly the same kind of upcoming Nehalem as Yanmin, and
> that machine happens to have characteristics which show up badly here.

AFAIK Lee usually tests on large IA64 boxes.

> > aim7 is sufficiently non-obscure to make me wonder what's happened here?
>
> Not a regression, just the onward march of new hardware, I think.
> Could easily be other such things in other places with other tests.

Yes, it's just a much larger machine, so old hidden scalability sins now
appear.

-Andi

  Last update: 2009-09-18 09:15    [W:0.074 / U:0.884 seconds]