SubjectRe: aim7 scalability issue on 4 socket machine
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:02:19 +0800 "Zhang, Yanmin" <yanmin_zhang@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > So, Yanmin, please retest with http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/13/25
> > > and let us know if that works as well for you - thanks.
> > I tested Lee's patch and it does fix the issue.

Thanks for checking and reporting back, Yanmin.

> Do we think we should cook up something for -stable?

Gosh, I laughed at Lee (sorry!) for suggesting it for -stable:
is stable really for getting a better number out of a benchmark?

I'd have thought the next release is the right place for that; but
I've no problem if you guys and the stable guys agree it's appropriate.

> Either this is a regression or the workload is particularly obscure.

I've not cross-checked descriptions, but assume Lee was actually
testing on exactly the same kind of upcoming Nehalem as Yanmin, and
that machine happens to have characteristics which show up badly here.

> aim7 is sufficiently non-obscure to make me wonder what's happened here?

Not a regression, just the onward march of new hardware, I think.
Could easily be other such things in other places with other tests.

Hugh

  Last update: 2009-09-18 08:57    [W:0.060 / U:1.076 seconds]