SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] Introducing the "timechart" tool

* Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

> [note: since this is a visualization tool, and lkml doesn't like
> html email, it's probably better to read the online version at
>
> http://blog.fenrus.org/?p=5
>
> in which I also show screenshots of the tool. The following text
> is the first part of the online introduction]
>
> Finding out why your Linux computer performs the way it does has
> been a hard task. Sure, there is Oprofile, and even ???perf??? in
> recent kernels. There is LatencyTOP to find out where latencies
> happen.
>
> But all of these tools are rather limited when the software stack
> that has the performance issue is more complex than a single
> program. The tool that comes closest to being useful is
> `bootchart???, but that has a rather limited resolution.
>
> To solve this, I have been working on a new tool, called
> Timechart, that has the objective to show on a system level what
> is going on, at various levels of detail. In fact. one of the
> design ideas behind timechart is that the output should be
> ???infinitely zoomable???; that is, if you want to know more
> details about something, you should be able to zoom in to get
> these details. The rest of this blog post describes some aspects
> of timechart, using real life examples and screenshots. However,
> it is really hard to show the power of timechart on such a static
> page, to get a real feeling of what timechart can show you really
> ought to try it out yourself.....

Nice! 'perf timechart' is IMO a really intuitive way to visualize
perf record output.

Text output goes only so far - patterns of scheduling (and patterns
of bad behavior) are a lot easier to notice in SVGs.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-09-12 16:05    [W:0.195 / U:0.060 seconds]