    Subject[patch 0/8] Introducing the "timechart" tool

    [note: since this is a visualization tool, and lkml doesn't like html email,
    it's probably better to read the online version at

    http://blog.fenrus.org/?p=5

    in which I also show screenshots of the tool. The following text
    is the first part of the online introduction]

    Finding out why your Linux computer performs the way it does has been a hard
    task. Sure, there is Oprofile, and even ‘perf’ in recent kernels. There is
    LatencyTOP to find out where latencies happen.

    But all of these tools are rather limited when the software stack that has
    the performance issue is more complex than a single program. The tool that
    comes closest to being useful is `bootchart‘, but that has a rather limited
    resolution.

    To solve this, I have been working on a new tool, called Timechart, that has
    the objective to show on a system level what is going on, at various levels
    of detail. In fact. one of the design ideas behind timechart is that the
    output should be “infinitely zoomable”; that is, if you want to know more
    details about something, you should be able to zoom in to get these details.
    The rest of this blog post describes some aspects of timechart, using real
    life examples and screenshots. However, it is really hard to show the power
    of timechart on such a static page, to get a real feeling of what timechart
    can show you really ought to try it out yourself.....

    I'm still looking for a better name for the tool, so if you have any ideas
    please let me know...

    visit http://www.lesswatts.org