2009/8/17 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>:

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>

>> * Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi> wrote:

>> > The bisect I did with Leann Ogasawara has narrowed the kernel panic
>> > down to the following:
>> >
>> > commit f19d4a8fa6f9b6ccf54df0971c97ffcaa390b7b0
>> > Author: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
>> > Date: Mon Jun 8 19:50:45 2009 -0400
>> >
>> >     add caching of ACLs in struct inode
>> >
>> >     No helpers, no conversions yet.
>> >
>> >     Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
>>
>> Weird. If the functions do what their name suggests, i.e. if
>> inode_init_always() is an always called constructor and if
>> destroy_inode() is an unconditional destructor then this patch
>> should have no functional effect on the VFS side.
>>
>> It increases the size of struct inode, so if you have some old
>> module (built to an older version of fs.h) still around it might
>> corrupt your inode data structure.
>>
>> Or the size change might trigger some dormant bug. It might move a
>> critical inode right into the path of a pre-existing (but not
>> visibly crash-triggering) data corruption.
>>
>> The possibilities on the 'weird bug' front are endless - the
>> crash/oops itself should be turned into text, posted here and
>> analyzed.
>
> Btw., before you invest any time into the 'weird crash' theory, i'd
> suggest to double check the bisection result:
>
>  f19d4a8fa6f9b6ccf54df0971c97ffcaa390b7b0    crashes
>  f19d4a8fa6f9b6ccf54df0971c97ffcaa390b7b0~1  boots fine
>
> You can save yourself from a lot of head scratching that way - the
> bisection result looks weird. (albeit plausible - a VFS crash points
> to a VFS commit.)
>
> _Maybe_ the bisection is just off a little bit (there was a
> bisection mistake in the last few steps), and the real buggy commit
> is one of the nearby ones:

We double checked again last week with fresh builds and validated that
the above result is correct.

What puzzles us is the start of the crash:

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffb4ff
IP: [<c01f716b>] __destroy_inode+0x4b/0x80
*pde = 00810067 *pte = 00000000
Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/power/resume

Any ideas?