    SubjectRe: [Tux3] Current Activities?

    * Daniel Phillips <> wrote:

    > [...] I will say this now: if we are invited to merge in the next
    > major release, or in -mm or whatever, we will happily do it. If we
    > are not invited to merge, nobody has any cause to complain about
    > progress slowing down. [...]

    The thing is, if you are waiting for an 'invite to upstream Linux
    merge' that could be a _very_ long wait: i've yet to see a single
    one ever since i started hacking Linux ~14 years ago ;-)

    The model that Linux has been following for the past 10+ years is
    for new kernel projects to request inclusion. I.e. you push your
    patches upstream: you send patches and a pull request to the
    appropriate people/lists such as lkml.

    This is done so because merging patches is a fundamentally
    hierarchical process, and the people merging _your_ patches are the
    real maintenance bottleneck, not you.

    So it is not Linus and other maintainers who are searching the web
    for projects to merge and sending out 'invites' but the other way
    around: projects try to get upstream by submitting patches (which
    get reviewed and accepted or rejected).

    So if you'd like your code to be merged upstream you better start
    this process now - this alone can take a lot of time: months (or
    years in certain cases). But it is still a much shorter time-span
    than an 'invite to merge' ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-06 09:55    [W:0.062 / U:10.856 seconds]