SubjectRe: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches
On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 13:58 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > We are taking about the kind of fanotify client that says: No you cannot
> > > open/read/write/mmap/etc.. this file until I say you can, right?
> >
> > Yes and no, it would be more accurate to say "this open takes long while we do
> > something else in the background".
>
> There are two or three ways to handle this
>
> 1. Block the open until the daemon dies or responds
> 2. Have a timeout (which would need to be connection configurable)
> 3. Require the daemon responds with "in progress" now and then.

I've taken option #3. I don't see options #2 as viable, although off
list discussion from clamav people has said they believe they are
interested in #2 rather than #3.

> For a superuser managed service its no different to an NFS mount which
> can go wonky so the only real question is what should fanotify allow non
> privileged users to do. The answer would appear anyway to be: not use
> this aspect of such a facility.

That's the approach taken thus far. Although non-blocking/access
notification will be opened up to normal users (currently even
notification is root only)

> For the superuser case the fact the daemon can be killed thus releasing
> anything stuff is analogous to umount -f of a stuck NFS mount which seems
> perfectly good for NFS.

It does work for NFS (which I would call case #1.) I claim that it
doesn't work for this case since a global listener stuck would stop you
from running kill() since it owuldn't be able to get permission to open
it....

  Last update: 2009-08-06 20:21    [W:0.092 / U:2.128 seconds]