    SubjectRe: ftrace scripts and make V=1
    On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 05:23:26PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > So I spent 3-4 hrs today (I'm stupid yes) tracking down a .o breakage by
    > blaming rawhide gcc/binutils as I was using make V=1and seeing only the
    > compiler chain running,
    >
    > However some ftrace script was sneaking in afterwards
    > and screwing up the .o without mentioning itself.
    >
    > Surely V=1 should print all these shitty scripts its running?

    The problem is that V=1 is already too chatty,
    so people sometimes hide their stuff - as in this case.

    I have for some time thought about adding some option
    so we can select between:
    - less chatty than today - but print the usefull stuff
    - full debug - print almost everything

    It is not that this is hard to implment.
    But I never have made up my mind how to enable this.

    V=1 - could be the "less chatty" mode
    V=2 - could be the "full debug mode"

    But we already use "V=2" to tell what caused a file to be rebuild.
    This is on the other hand very seldomly used so we could get
    away with a new way to request this.
    So we limit V=n to select between different verbosity levels.

    What do you think?

    Sam

      Last update: 2009-08-05 10:11    [W:2.470 / U:0.752 seconds]