    SubjectRe: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto
    On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 06:33:57AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > Amerigo Wang <> writes:
    > > This series of patch implements automatically reserved memory for crashkernel,
    > > by introducing a new boot option "crashkernel=auto". This idea is from Neil.
    > >
    > > In case of breaking user-space applications, it modifies this boot option after
    > > it decides how much memory should be reserved.
    > >
    > > On different arch, the threshold and reserved memory size is different. Please
    > > refer patch 7/7 which contains an update for the documentation.
    > >
    > > Note: This patchset was only tested on x86_64 with differernt memory sizes.
    > This seems like a silly hard code. Especially for a feature distros don't
    > care enough about to implement a working initrd for.
    > Has anyone bothered to justify those large amounts of memory?
    > Where does the 128M go?
    > Please pardon me for being a cynic but I don't see the command line option
    > being the bottleneck for real users to make this work.
    > Eric

    Lots of the impetus behind this results from a desire to have kexec configured
    and setup up during install. Having the kernel allocate a default size block of
    RAM lets you do that without the need for an interim reboot. You could of
    course boot the installer kernel with a crashkernel line pre-selected suppose,
    but then you have to go to the trouble of figuring that allocation size out each
    time. This gives you a nice convienent way to get a reasonable block of memory
    without the need to do all that extra work.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-05 16:07    [W:0.043 / U:3.376 seconds]