SubjectRe: The msr_safe functions and returning -EFAULT
On 08/31/2009 05:24 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 08/30/09 14:05, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Right now, the *msr_safe() functions are returning -EFAULT. As far as I
>> can tell, this makes absolutely no sense -- EFAULT is a nonsensical
>> error (it means a pointer into user memory given to a system call is
>> invalid), and the only user that seems to use this as anything other
>> than a boolean is the MSR driver, which wants EIO.
>>
>> Sending out an email in case I have missed any instances, but I'm
>> inclined to just change this to EIO globally.
>>
>> Anyone has objections?
>>

> I think the only rationale for EFAULT is that the *msr will fail with
> GP, and a GPing instruction will send a SIGSEGV to usermode, and EFAULT
> is the synchronous error-code equiv of SIGSEGV. Sorta.
>
> EIO makes more sense overall. Or ENXIO.

Well, EIO is what we want for the MSR driver, so I have just switched it
to EIO across the board. As far as I can tell, there were no other
users that didn't just test for error or no error.

-hpa

  Last update: 2009-09-01 02:31    [W:0.045 / U:0.044 seconds]