    SubjectRe: [testcase] test your fs/storage stack (was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible)
    Hi!

    >>> for flash drives the danger is very straightforward (although even then
    >>> you have to note that it depends heavily on the firmware of the device,
    >>> some will loose lots of data, some won't loose any)
    >>
    >> I have not seen one that works :-(.
    >
    > so let's get broader testing (including testing the SSDs as well as the
    > thumb drives)

    If someone can do ssd test -- yes that would be interesting.

    >> Anyway, you wanted a test, and one is attached. It normally takes like
    >> 4 unplugs to uncover problems.
    >
    > Ok, help me understand this.
    >
    > I copy these two files to a system, change them to point at the correct
    > device, run them and unplug the drive while it's running.

    Yep.

    > when I plug the device back in, how do I tell if it lost something
    > unexpected? since you are writing from urandom I have no idea what data
    > _should_ be on the drive, so how can I detect that a data block has been
    > corrupted?

    I have mirror on disk you are not unplugging. See cmp || exit lines.

    The test continues until it detects corruption.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2009-08-30 09:11    [W:0.021 / U:268.184 seconds]