SubjectRe: kernel page table mapping for >1GB <3 GB for x86 arch without PAE
Thanks for the reply,
But my question is with regard to setting up the page tables during the kernel initialization in such a way so that entire RAM upto 4GB can be mapped. i.e virtual to physical address mapping. My question is strictly with reg. to physical address mapping only.

Why does kernel stop at 1GB (896 MB to be exact) while mapping from linear to physical address.

Since a given process runs in both user/kernel mode how does it matter whether page table mapping is for entire 4GB or 1 GB. Just because kernel setup the page tables does not mean that allocated dynamic memory cannot be accessed by given process while running in user mode.

For the sake of discussion, let us say I have 3.5 GB of RAM of x86 with PAE disabled and I have only one process running other than kernel.
Why can't kernel simply setup the page table mapping in a way that entire 3.5GB is mapped from linear to physical during the initialization. Assuming this single process is given access upto 3 GB, while running in user mode this single process can access any memory location in the allocated 2 or 3 GB virtual space.