    SubjectRe: RFC: THE OFFLINE SCHEDULER
    On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 15:15 -0400, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > The point of the OFFLINE scheduler is to completely eliminate the
    > OS disturbances by getting rid of *all* OS processing on some cpus.

    No, that's not the point of OFFSCHED. It's about offloading kernel
    functionality to a peer, and as it currently exists after some years of
    development. kernel functionality only. Raz has already stated that
    hard RT is not the point.

    <quote> (for full context, jump back a bit in this thread)
    > On the other hand, I could see this as a jump platform for more
    > proprietary code, something like that: we use linux in out server
    > platform, but out "insert buzzword here" network stack pro+ can handle
    > 100% more load that linux does, and it runs on a dedicated core....
    >
    > In the other words, we might see 'firmwares' that take an entire cpu
    for
    > their usage.
    This is exactly what offsched (sos) is. you got it. SOS was partly
    inspired by the notion of a GPU.
    Processors are to become more and more redundant and Linux as an
    evolutionary system must use it. why not offload raid5 write engine ?
    why not encrypt in a different processor ?
    Also , having so many processors in a single OS means a bug prone
    system , with endless contention points when two or more OS processors
    interacts. let's make things simpler.
    </quote>

    -Mike

      Last update: 2009-08-27 09:19    [W:0.020 / U:66.552 seconds]