    SubjectRe: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    Date
    On Monday 24 August 2009 19:08:42 Theodore Tso wrote:
    > And if your
    > claim is that several hundred lines of fsck output detailing the
    > filesystem's destruction somehow makes things all better, I suspect
    > most users would disagree with you.

    Suppose a small office makes nightly backups to an offsite server via rsync. If
    a thunderstorm goes by causing their system to reboot twice in a 15 minute
    period, would they rather notice the filesystem corruption immediately upon
    reboot, or notice after the next rsync?

    > In any case, depending on where the flash was writing at the time of
    > the unplug, the data corruption could be silent anyway.

    Yup. Hopefully btrfs will cope less badly? They keep talking about
    checksumming extents...

    > Maybe this came as a surprise to you, but anyone who has used a
    > compact flash in a digital camera knows that you ***have*** to wait
    > until the led has gone out before trying to eject the flash card.

    I doubt the cupholder crowd is going to stop treating USB sticks as magical
    any time soon, but I also wonder how many of them even remember Linux _exists_
    anymore.

    > remember seeing all sorts of horror stories from professional
    > photographers about how they lost an important wedding's day worth of
    > pictures with the attendant commercial loss, on various digital
    > photography forums. It tends to be the sort of mistake that digital
    > photographers only make once.

    Professionals have horror stories about this issue, therefore documenting it
    is _less_ important?

    Ok...

    Rob

      Last update: 2009-08-27 05:37    [W:0.023 / U:29.944 seconds]