    SubjectRe: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    >>> Ok, can you help? Having a piece of MD documentation explaining the
    >>> "powerfail nukes entire stripe" and how current filesystems do not
    >>> deal with that would be nice, along with description when exactly that
    >>> happens.
    >> Except of course for the inconvenient detail that a power
    >> failure on a degraded RAID 5 array does *NOT* nuke the
    >> entire stripe.
    >
    > Ok, you are right. It will nuke unrelated sector somewhere on the
    > stripe (one that is "old" and was not recently written) -- which is
    > still something ext3 can not reliably handle.

    Not quite unrelated. The "nuked" sector will be the one
    that used to live on the disk that is broken and no longer
    a part of the RAID 5 array.

    I wouldn't qualify a missing hard disk as a software issue...

    --
    All rights reversed.

      Last update: 2009-08-27 05:33    [W:0.027 / U:0.200 seconds]