    SubjectRe: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!

    >>> Again, ext2 handles that in a way user expects it.
    >>>
    >>> At least I was teached "ext2 needs fsck after powerfail; ext3 can
    >>> handle powerfails just ok".
    >>
    >> So, would you be happy if ext3 fsck was always run on reboot (at least
    >> for flash devices)?
    >
    > For flash devices, MD Raid 5 and anything else that needs it; yes that
    > would make me happy ;-).

    the thing is that fsck would not fix the problem.

    it may (if the data lost was metadata) detect the problem and tell you how
    many files you have lost, but if the data lost was all in a data file you
    would not detect it with a fsck

    the only way you would detect the missing data is to read all the files on
    the filesystem and detect that the data you are reading is wrong.

    but how can you tell if the data you are reading is wrong?

    on a flash drive, your read can return garbage, but how do you know that
    garbage isn't the contents of the file?

    on a degraded raid5 array you have no way to test data integrity, so when
    the missing drive is replaced, the rebuild algorithm will calculate the
    appropriate data to make the parity calculations work out and write
    garbage to that drive.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2009-08-25 17:39    [W:0.023 / U:1.228 seconds]