    SubjectRe: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    > The papers show failures in "once a year" range. I have "twice a
    > minute" failure scenario with flashdisks.
    > Not sure how often "degraded raid5 breaks ext3 atomicity" would bite,
    > but I bet it would be on "once a day" scale.

    I agree it should be documented, but the ext3 atomicity issue is only
    an issue on unexpected shutdown while the array is degraded. I surely
    hope most people running raid5 are not seeing that level of unexpected
    shutdown, let along in a degraded array,

    If they are, the atomicity issue pretty strongly says they should not
    be using raid5 in that environment. At least not for any filesystem I
    know. Having writes to LBA n corrupt LBA n+128 as an example is
    pretty hard to design around from a fs perspective.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-24 23:15    [W:0.021 / U:335.856 seconds]