    SubjectRe: 2.6.31-rc5 regression: Oops when USB Serial disconnected while in use
    On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Alan Stern wrote:

    > Alan:
    > There's a problem with the tty->ops->shutdown method. It needs to
    > release the last port reference owned by the current tty. But when was
    > that reference originally acquired? Evidently during the first time
    > serial_open() was called for the current tty.
    > The problem is that serial_open() has no way to know if a particular
    > invocation is the first one for this tty! The ASYNCB_INITIALIZED flag
    > doesn't help, because it might not get set during the first call (i.e.,
    > if an error occurs).
    > To do this right, we need a flag in the tty_struct or the tty_port
    > which serial_open() can set when acquiring that first reference and
    > shutdown method can clear. Should I add such a flag?

    Never mind, I figured out an answer. Instead of a new flag, the
    routine can simply test whether or not tty->driver_data has been set.

    One more question: Under what circumstances should serial_open()
    increment port->port.count? It seems that this should happen on every
    call unless tty->driver_data is NULL or filp has been hung up. Is that

    I have a big patch almost ready for testing. Unfortunately I don't
    have access to my usual hardware right now, so I can't test it until
    the middle of the week. Bruno, if you like I will send you the patch
    when it looks okay and you can try it out.

    Alan Stern

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-23 18:19    [W:0.022 / U:0.460 seconds]