SubjectRe: ACPI locks hardware devices when it doesn't detect vista
On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 01:02 +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 23:41 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 August 2009, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > <joke>
> > > This should be brought to a Microsoft antitrust case...
> > > </joke>
> > >

> > > Today many notebooks ship with a embedded infrared receiver.
> > > In Vista there is new subsystem that decodes these signals.
> > > (of course it works only with Microsoft Certificated Remotes (TM)...)
> > >
> > > The receiver is usually presented to system as a pnp device
> > > (using acpi tables)
> > >
> > > It turns out that some bioses actually use the OSI, ACPI feature of the
> > > operation system to detect if running inside Vista. If not they disable
> > > the infrared receiver.
>
> Just one note. At least I am now sure that OSI("Windows 2006") does
> return true by default.
>
> I have tried booting here with acpi_osi="!Windows 2006", and actually
> the CIR PNP device disappeared. I guess that _STA that returns zero
> causes that.
>
> On his laptop, ENE0100 device doesn't disappear, but still someone
> writes zero to LPCB.IOR2 (we checked and found out that it was zero)
>
> Maybe its zero by default, but some 'magic' driver in windows sets it
> up, but this is a PCI config register on LPC bridge, (0x88) and I am
> almost sure that nobody except bios knows about it.
>
> Windows IR driver doesn't touch it for sure.
>
> So, it could be that _STA is once called before the _SB._INI ?

We have just tested, and it turns out that on boot, the device is
unlocked. So it must ACPI

I have put a printk very early in kernel initialization, and it proved
that CIR io range is accessible, before acpi initialization.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky