    SubjectRe: abnormal OOM killer message
    On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 03:49:58PM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:24:54 +0900
    > ????????? <chungki.woo@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you very much for replys.
    > >
    > > But I think it seems not to relate with stale data problem in compcache.
    > > My question was why last chance to allocate memory was failed.
    > > When OOM killer is executed, memory state is not a condition to
    > > execute OOM killer.
    > > Specially, there are so many pages of order 0. And allocating order is zero.
    > > I think that last allocating memory should have succeeded.
    > > That's my worry.
    >
    > Yes. I agree with you.
    > Mel. Could you give some comment in this situation ?
    > Is it possible that order 0 allocation is failed
    > even there are many pages in buddy ?

    Not ordinarily. If it happens, I tend to suspect that the free list data
    is corrupted and would put a check in __rmqueue() that looked like

    BUG_ON(list_empty(&area->free_list) && area->nr_free);

    The second question is, why are we in direct reclaim this far above the
    watermark? It should only be kswapd that is doing any reclaim at that
    point. That makes me wonder again are the free lists corrupted.

    The other possibility is that the zonelist used for allocation in the
    troubled path contains no populated zones. I would put a BUG_ON check in
    get_page_from_freelist() to check if the first zone in the zonelist has no
    pages. If that bug triggers, it might explain why OOMs are triggering for
    no good reason.

    I consider both of those possibilities abnormal though.

    --
    Mel Gorman
    Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center

      Last update: 2009-08-19 12:39    [W:0.053 / U:2.740 seconds]