SubjectRe: [Patch 8/8] kexec: allow to shrink reserved memory
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:50:21 +0800
> Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Eric W. Biederman wrote:

>>> If we start with the assumption that we will be reserving to much and
>>> will free the memory once we know how much we really need I see a very
>>> simple way to go about this. We ensure that the reservation of crash
>>> kernel memory is done through a normal allocation so that we have
>>> struct page entries for every page. On 32bit x86 that is an extra 1MB
>>> for a 128MB allocation.
>>>
>>> Then when it comes time to release that memory we clear whatever magic
>>> flags we have on the page (like PG_reserve) and call free_page.
>>>

>> Hmm, my MM knowledge is not good enough to judge if this works...
>> I need to check more MM source code.
>>
>> Can any MM people help?
>>

> Hm, memory-hotplug guy is here.

Hi, thank you!
> Can I have a question ?
>
> - How crash kernel's memory is preserved at boot ?

Use bootmem, I think.

> It's hidden from the system before mem_init() ?

Not sure, but probably yes. It is reserved in setup_arch() which is
before mm_init() which calls mem_init().

Do you have any advice to free that reserved memory after boot? :)

Thanks.

  Last update: 2009-08-18 08:33    [W:0.166 / U:0.472 seconds]