SubjectRe: [patch 2/2] Add a driver for the Winbond WPCD376I Consumer IR hardware
From
On Thu, August 13, 2009 08:58, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi David,

Hi,

> Please keep Makefile sorted alphabetically.

Ok

>> +static struct wbcir_key rc6_def_keymap[] = {
>> + { 0x800F0400, KEY_0 },
>> + { 0x800F0401, KEY_1 },
>> + { 0x800F0402, KEY_2 },
>> + { 0x800F0403, KEY_3 },
>> + { 0x800F0404, KEY_4 },
>> + { 0x800F0405, KEY_5 },
>> + { 0x800F0406, KEY_6 },
>> + { 0x800F0407, KEY_7 },
>> + { 0x800F0408, KEY_8 },
>> + { 0x800F0409, KEY_9 },
>
> Make these ones KEY_NUMERIC_* as well, this should help users whose
> keymaps have numbers in upper register normally.

Ok

>> + { 0x800F041D, KEY_NUMERIC_STAR },
>> + { 0x800F041C, KEY_NUMERIC_POUND },
>> + { 0x800F0410, KEY_VOLUMEUP },
>> + { 0x800F0411, KEY_VOLUMEDOWN },
>> + { 0x800F0412, KEY_CHANNELUP },
>> + { 0x800F0413, KEY_CHANNELDOWN },
>> + { 0x800F040E, KEY_MUTE },
>> + { 0x800F040D, KEY_VENDOR }, /* Vista Logo Key */
>> + { 0x800F041E, KEY_UP },
>> + { 0x800F041F, KEY_DOWN },
>> + { 0x800F0420, KEY_LEFT },
>> + { 0x800F0421, KEY_RIGHT },
>> + { 0x800F0422, KEY_OK },
>> + { 0x800F0423, KEY_ESC },
>> + { 0x800F040F, KEY_INFO },
>> + { 0x800F040A, KEY_CLEAR },
>> + { 0x800F040B, KEY_ENTER },
>> + { 0x800F045B, KEY_RED },
>> + { 0x800F045C, KEY_GREEN },
>> + { 0x800F045D, KEY_YELLOW },
>> + { 0x800F045E, KEY_BLUE },
>> + { 0x800F045A, KEY_TEXT },
>> + { 0x800F0427, KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE },
>> + { 0x800F040C, KEY_POWER },
>> + { 0x800F0450, KEY_RADIO },
>> + { 0x800F0448, KEY_PVR },
>> + { 0x800F0447, KEY_AUDIO },
>> + { 0x800F0426, KEY_EPG },
>> + { 0x800F0449, KEY_CAMERA },
>> + { 0x800F0425, KEY_TV },
>> + { 0x800F044A, KEY_VIDEO },
>> + { 0x800F0424, KEY_DVD },
>> + { 0x800F0416, KEY_PLAY },
>> + { 0x800F0418, KEY_PAUSE },
>> + { 0x800F0419, KEY_STOP },
>> + { 0x800F0414, KEY_FASTFORWARD },
>> + { 0x800F041A, KEY_NEXT },
>> + { 0x800F041B, KEY_PREVIOUS },
>> + { 0x800F0415, KEY_REWIND },
>> + { 0x800F0417, KEY_RECORD },
>
> Umm, it looks like if you do (code & 0x800F0400) you can switch to
> standard array-based keymap and won't even need list manipulation.

I didn't want to do that since it would potentially tie the driver to one
particular remote (the one I used for testing while writing the driver).
The hardware isn't shipped with any specific remote so that wouldn't be
very user friendly.

This was the best solution I could come up with without adding some real
limitations to the functionality of the driver.

The main problem right now is that getkeycode is practically useless since
you can't blindly guess at a full range of 2^32 different scancodes to get
the complete keymap. Perhaps a index-based getkeycode would make sense...

Anyway, I hope that I can make this a moot point in the future by adding
more IR-specific functionality to the input system. I've been thinking
along the lines of IR-specific get/set-keycode ioctl's which would take a
struct which defines the IR command to map to a key.

>> +};
>> +
>> +/* Registers and other state is protected by wbcir_lock */
>> +struct wbcir_data {
>> + unsigned long wbase; /* Wake-Up Baseaddr */
>> + unsigned long ebase; /* Enhanced Func. Baseaddr */
>> + unsigned long sbase; /* Serial Port Baseaddr */
>> + unsigned int irq; /* Serial Port IRQ */
>> +
>> + struct input_dev *input_dev;
>> + struct timer_list timer_keyup;
>> + struct led_trigger *rxtrigger;
>> + struct led_trigger *txtrigger;
>> + struct led_classdev led;
>> +
>> + u32 last_scancode;
>> + unsigned int last_keycode;
>> + u8 last_toggle;
>> + u8 keypressed;
>> + unsigned long keyup_jiffies;
>> + unsigned int idle_count;
>> +
>> + /* RX irdata and parsing state */
>> + unsigned long irdata[30];
>> + unsigned int irdata_count;
>> + unsigned int irdata_idle;
>> + unsigned int irdata_off;
>> + unsigned int irdata_error;
>> +
>> + /* Protected by keytable_lock */
>> + struct list_head keytable;
>
> I think this has a potential to deadlock... Set and get keycodes are
> called with event lock taken, and then your implementations acquire
> keytable lock. When you emit input events the opposite happens - you
> take the keytable lock and then input core takes event lock.

Good catch, I'll have to look into that...

>> +static struct device_attribute dev_attr_last_scancode = {
>> + .attr = {
>> + .name = "last_scancode",
>> + .mode = 0444,
>> + },
>> + .show = wbcir_show_last_scancode,
>> + .store = NULL,
>> +
>> +};
>
> Why is this needed? And if this is needed we have a nice macro
> for that.

I hope I've explained it wrt. EV_IR in my other mail. It's for building
keymaps of unknown remotes. And it'll go away once EV_IR is supported so I
don't think there's much point in fiddling with it now?

>> +static int
>> +wbcir_probe(struct pnp_dev *device, const struct pnp_device_id *dev_id)
>
> __devinit

>> + dev_info(&device->dev, "Found device "
>> + "(w: 0x%lX, e: 0x%lX, s: 0x%lX, i: %u)\n",
>> + data->wbase, data->ebase, data->sbase, data->irq);
>> +
>
> dev_dbg() I think.

Ok

>> +static void
>> +wbcir_remove(struct pnp_dev *device)
>
> __devexit

Ok

>> +static struct pnp_driver wbcir_driver = {
>> + .name = WBCIR_ACPI_NAME,
>> + .id_table = wbcir_ids,
>> + .probe = wbcir_probe,
>> + .remove = wbcir_remove,
>
> __devexit_p()

Ok

>> + .suspend = wbcir_suspend,
>> + .resume = wbcir_resume,
>
> Switch to dev_pm_ops?

Don't want to do that just yet. dev_pm_ops wasn't even on my radar until
yesterday when I stumbled upon the documentation (in a header file rather
than in Documentation/...eh?). I'll certainly look into it when the
suspend/resume functionality has seen more testing and bug fixing.

Thanks for the review. Are you willing to push the driver upstream through
the input tree once I've implemented your suggested fixes?

--
David Härdeman