SubjectRe: [BUG] race of RCU vs NOHU
Hi!

> > > I analysed a dump of a hanging 2.6.30 system and found what I think is
> > > a bug of RCU vs NOHZ. There are a number of patches ontop of that
> > > kernel but they should be independent of the bug.
> > >
> > > The systems has 4 cpus and uses classic RCU. cpus #0, #2 and #3 woke up
> > > recently, cpu #1 has been sleeping for 5 minutes, but there is a pending
> > > rcu batch. The timer wheel for cpu #1 is empty, it will continue to
> > > sleep for NEXT_TIMER_MAX_DELTA ticks.
> >
> > Congratulations, Martin! You have exercised what to date has been a
> > theoretical bug identified last year by Manfred Spraul. The fix is to
> > switch from CONFIG_RCU_CLASSIC to CONFIG_RCU_TREE, which was added in
> > 2.6.29.
> >
> > Of course, if you need to work with an old kernel version, you might
> > still need a patch, perhaps for the various -stable versions. If so,
> > please let me know -- otherwise, I will focus forward on CONFIG_RCU_TREE
> > rather than backwards on CONFIG_RCU_CLASSIC.
>
> SLES11 is 2.6.27 and uses classic RCU. The not-so theoretical bug is
> present there and I think it needs to be fixed :-/

Plus... if config_rcu_classic is known buggy (and you are not willing
to fix it), it should be disabled (or made depend on !CONFIG_NOHZ, or
maybe made depend on CONFIG_BROKEN).

Ugh. rcu_classic does not seem to have help text, and I'm running
known
bad
code
here
:-(.

Pavel

  Last update: 2009-08-11 22:33    [W:0.160 / U:0.780 seconds]