    SubjectRe: 2.6.31-rc5 regression: x86 MCE malfunction on Thinkpad T42p

    * Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:

    > > > It works (no more warning), but I feel I'm better off using "lapic"
    > >
    > > Thanks for testing.
    > >
    > > > because it enables thermal monitoring and performance counters.
    > >
    > > When the BIOS doesn't enable it then force enabling lapic might not work.
    > >
    > > This could cause either boot failures (obvious) or more subtle
    > > problems like SMM doing something unexpected. Just saying that
    > > if you have strange problems later first try disabling this
    > > option again.
    >
    > Thanks for the heads-up. I remember I tried to use oprofile in
    > the past on this machine and was disappointed that it only got the
    > timer event. I'll keep lapic for now unless I see signs of
    > instability.

    What's the output of something like 'perf stat true', and does 'perf
    top' output something - i.e. do perfcounters work in general? Once
    you get to that stage and it works then it should be fine.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2009-08-10 15:35    [W:0.037 / U:0.108 seconds]