    SubjectRe: [Bug #13667] drm: display arifacts when X.Org is stopped
    On Wednesday 08 July 2009, Dave Airlie wrote:
    > On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Frans Pop<> wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > >> The following bug entry is on the current list of known regressions
    > >> from 2.6.30.  Please verify if it still should be listed and let me
    > >> know (either way).
    > >>
    > >> Bug-Entry     :
    > >> Subject       : drm: display arifacts when X.Org is stopped
    > >> Submitter     : Frans Pop <>
    > >> Date          : 2009-06-27 18:52 (10 days old)
    > >> References    :
    > >
    > > Problem is still there with -rc2. Dave said he'd try to reproduce,
    > > but I've not heard back from him yet.
    > Don't suppose you have a 32-bit install you could also test with?

    You're in luck...
    I also get artifacts, though less severe, with .31-rc2 on my Toshiba
    Satellite A40 (32-bit kernel) during logout from X.Org. The switch is
    clean with .30.

    > Hopefully I can reproduce it on my box locally, otherwise its really
    > messy dealing with 2 drivers smashing on the same hw.

    Not sure why you're saying that. I would think VESA fb + X.Org is quite
    common and also a very valid use case [1]. How else would you get the
    pretty kernel boot logo? ;-)

    > btw you get any wierd text mode issues without vesafb?

    If I boot .31-rc2 without vga=791 I don't get the artifacts. The artifacts
    also do not appear if I boot with 'nopat'. Checked on both systems.

    Note that I reported a similar issue once before, also reproducible on
    both systems. In that case it was a bug in PAT which was eventually fixed.

    Given that 'nopat' helps, you may want to check with Suresh on this one.

    [1] I'd even go so far as to feel it should be a standard test case for
    video driver developers, given that this is the third time it's shown
    regressions :-) For the third case the bug was in the X.Org i830 driver:

      Last update: 2009-07-08 07:03    [W:0.023 / U:66.360 seconds]